RECEPTION OF THE PENITENT
- PRIEST: Welcomes the penitent.
- PENITENT: IN THE NAME OF THE FATHER, AND OF THE SON, AND OF THE HOLY SPIRIT. AMEN.
- PRIEST: Invites the penitent to have trust in God.
READING OF THE WORD OF GOD (optional)
- The priest or penitent may read a text of Holy Scripture.
CONFESSION OF SINS AND ACCEPTANCE OF SATISFACTION
- PENITENT: BLESS ME, FATHER FOR I HAVE SINNED. IT HAS BEEN _________ (how long) SINCE MY LAST CONFESSION. THESE ARE MY SINS: Tell the priest your sins with honesty and sorrow, and also tell the Priest a little about yourself. The priest will listen to you and guide you.
- PENITENT: I AM SORRY FOR THESE AND ALL MY SINS. (The priest will give you a penance to help make up for your sins and to change your heart. )
PRAYER OF THE PENITENT AND ABSOLUTION
- PENITENT: O MY GOD, I AM HEARTILY SORRY FOR HAVING OFFENDED THEE, AND I DETEST ALL MY SINS BECAUSE OF THY PUNISHMENTS, BUT MOST OF ALL BECAUSE THEY OFFEND THEE, MY GOD, WHO ARE ALL-GOOD AND WORTHY OF ALL MY LOVE. I FIRMLY RESOLVE, WITH THE HELP OF THY GRACE, TO SIN NO MORE AND TO AVOID THE NEAR OCCASIONS OF SIN. AMEN. (After the Act of Contrition, the priest will give you Absolution. At the end of Absolution, make the sign of the cross and say,AMEN.)
PROCLAMATION OF PRAISE AND DISMISSAL
- PRIEST: Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good.
- PENITENT: HIS MERCY ENDURES FOREVER.
- PRIEST: Dismisses Penitent in Peace